Baby names for boys and girls
Choosing your baby’s name is one of the most important decisions you will have to make as a parent. The name you give your child will accompany him or her throughout life and will form part of his or her identity. For this reason, it is not a task to be taken lightly, but one that requires time, reflection and consensus.
To help you choose the best name for your baby, here are some tips you can take into account:
Tips for choosing the best name for your baby
- Look for a name that you like, that sounds good and that has a special meaning for you. You can be inspired by the names of family members, friends, historical, literary or fictional characters that you admire or identify with.
- Consider the surname or surnames your baby will carry and how they will combine with the name. Avoid repetitions, rhymes or initials that may be funny or unfortunate.
- Respect your partner’s opinion and find a name you both like. You can make a list of favourite names and discard the ones you don’t like. You can also ask your family or friends for their opinion, but remember that the final decision is yours.
- Find out about the origin, history and popularity of the name you choose. You can consult books, magazines, websites or apps specialised in baby names. This way you will know if the name is suitable for your son or daughter, if it has any negative or positive connotations, if it is fashionable or original, etc.
- Think about your baby’s future and how he or she will feel about the name you give him or her. Avoid names that are too long, complicated, fancy or difficult to pronounce or spell. Think that your baby will grow up and will have to introduce himself, relate to and work with his name.
If you follow these tips, you are sure to find the ideal name for your baby. But if you still have doubts or want more ideas, we invite you to browse our website, where you can search for names by gender, origin, letter or meaning. You will also be able to see the most popular names, the most original and the most sought after by other parents like you.