Bar names are very important to attract customers and convey the personality and style of your business. In this article, we are going to give you some classic and other original ideas to name your bar. We hope they inspire you and that you find the perfect name for your business.
Classic Bar Names
Classic bars are those that have a long tradition, a familiar and welcoming atmosphere, and that offer typical drinks and food from the area. Here are some examples of classic bar names and their meaning:
- The Red Lion: This is the most common pub name in the UK, with more than 500 examples. It may have originated from the coat of arms of John of Gaunt, a 14th-century nobleman who competed for the throne, or from the emblem of King James VI and I, who united Scotland and England in 1603.
- The Crown: This is the second most common pub name, and it shows loyalty to the monarchy. The crown symbol has been used outside taverns since the Roman times, and it does not need to change with the occupant of the throne.
- The Royal Oak: This name commemorates the escape of King Charles II from the Parliamentarian forces in 1651. He hid in an oak tree in Boscobel Wood, Staffordshire, and later fled to France. The oak tree became a symbol of royalism and many pubs adopted it as their sign.
The White Hart: This is the fourth most common pub name, and it was the personal badge of King Richard II, who reigned from 1377 to 1399. He ordered pubs to display his emblem to show their support for him. The white hart is also a mythical creature that represents purity and grace.
- The Swan: This name may have several origins. Swans were considered royal birds and could only be eaten by the king and his nobles. Swans were also used as a sign of quality by brewers and vintners. Swans are also associated with legends and fairy tales, such as the story of the Swan Princess.
Modern bar names
Modern bars are those that have an innovative design, a young and dynamic atmosphere, and that offer original and creative drinks and food. Here are some examples of modern bar names and their meaning:
- Mood: This name is an English word that means state of mind, and is used to express how you feel or how you want to feel. It is a short, simple and elegant name, which suggests that the bar adapts to your mood and preferences, and that it offers you a unique and personalized experience.
- Mix: This name is another English word that means mixture, and is used to refer to the combination of different elements, such as drinks, flavors, styles or people. It is a name that conveys diversity, originality and creativity, and shows that the bar is a place where you can try new and different things.
- Lounge: This name is an English term that means lounge, and is used to describe a type of bar that has a relaxed, sophisticated and elegant atmosphere, where you can listen to music, have a drink and chat. It is a name that evokes luxury, comfort and distinction, and shows that the bar is a place where you can enjoy a quality moment.
- Bite: This name is an English word that means bite, and is used to indicate that the bar offers food in small portions, such as tapas, pinchos or appetizers. It’s a name that suggests flavour, variety and satisfaction, and shows that the bar is a place where you can eat well and quickly.
- Cool: This name is an English adjective that means cool, and is used to describe something that is pleasant, attractive or fashionable. It is a name that expresses a positive, fun and carefree attitude, and shows that the bar is a place where you can have a good time and feel good.
Theme bar names
Theme bars are those that are inspired by a specific theme, such as a country, an era, a movie, a sport or a hobby, and that decorate and ambiance the premises and the menu according to that theme. Here are some examples of themed bar names and their meaning:
- Irish Pub: This name refers to a type of bar originating in Ireland, which is characterized by having wooden decoration, dim lighting, Celtic music and a wide range of beers and whiskeys. It’s a name that conveys authenticity, warmth and fun, and shows that the bar is a place where you can enjoy Irish culture and cuisine.
- Retro: This name refers to a style that imitates or recovers the fashions and trends of the past, especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s. It is a name that conveys nostalgia, originality and charm, and shows that the bar is a place where you can travel in time and relive past eras.
- Cinema: This name is related to the world of cinema, and is used to create a cinematic environment, with posters, images, music and objects from famous films. It is a name that conveys passion, entertainment and magic, and shows that the bar is a place where you can enjoy your love of the seventh art.
- Sport: This name is associated with the world of sports, and is used to create a sports environment, with screens, flags, trophies and objects from different sports disciplines. It is a name that conveys energy, excitement and competition, and shows that the bar is a place where you can enjoy your passion for sport.
- Rock: This name is linked to the world of music, and is used to create a musical environment, with instruments, records, posters and objects of rock bands and artists. It is a name that conveys strength, rebellion and personality, and shows that the bar is a place where you can enjoy your taste for rock.
Names for bars in video
Tips for choosing the best name for your bar
The name of the bar is one of the most important elements for the success of your establishment, since it is the first thing that users see and what catches their attention. A good name must meet the following characteristics:
- Be relevant: The name should be related to the theme, style and target audience of the bar, and should reflect its value proposition and differentiation. This way, the name will attract users looking for that type of bar, and give them a clear idea of what to expect.
- Be original: The name must be unique, creative and memorable, and must avoid being confused with other similar bars or businesses. In this way, the name will stand out among the competition, and will generate its own and recognizable identity.
- Be simple: The name should be short, easy to pronounce, write and remember, and should avoid the use of numbers, symbols or difficult words. In this way, the name will facilitate the search, recommendation and user loyalty.
We hope that this article has been useful to you and that you have found the ideal name for your bar. In case you need more inspiration, you can visit this List of Pubs Names